Traveling in the Galapagos is on many people’s bucket list but some may be deterred by sticker shock. Compared to other island destinations, the Galapagos can seem expensive to visit.
Travelers who come here either book a cruise or wish they had instead of being land-based! A Galapagos cruise allows for the visitor to be intrinsically connected and it is the best way to experience the archipelago as you travel to different islands, each with unique wildlife with spectacular views.
We assure you that a trip to the Galapagos Islands is a once-in-a-lifetime journey that is even life-changing. Being transformed is worth every penny so let’s talk about how to save on a Galapagos cruise…
Travel Outside of Peak Times
There are many things to love about Galapagos. One of our favorites? The wonders of these islands can be enjoyed all year round!
The archipelago is located on the equator which means the temperature here doesn’t vary drastically from month to month. There are two primary seasons: the wet/warmer season from January through May and the Garúa, or dry /cooler season, which typically lasts from June through December. The primary difference between these seasons is the cloud cover and precipitation though the water temperature varies slightly as well.
Because of this, the busiest seasons tend to be around holidays and school breaks. In fact, we are already selling out for some of those dates in 2019 including reservations for the 2019 holidays!
How does this benefit you and how can you save on a Galapagos cruise?
Cruise companies including Ecoventura often offer specials to encourage travelers to book during the offseason and other less popular dates. Keep an eye out for specials in late January and February when fewer people are traveling. Not only will you save on your vacation, but you will also enjoy calmer waters which is good news for anyone who experiences motion sickness.
Here are some of our specials going on now…
New Ecoventura Promotions on Winter 2019 Departures:
- Eric & Letty – Receive a 5% discount
- MV ORIGIN – Receive a 5% discount
- Available on these 2019 departures only: Jan 20-27 – Itinerary A, Jan 27-03 Feb – Itinerary B, Feb 3-10 – Itinerary A, Feb 17-24 – Itinerary A (Origin only), Feb 24-03 Mar – Itinerary B
Fall is another great time to book if you want to save! Specials are often available and fewer people are traveling to the islands. This is great news for you since it means fewer people around when you are exploring.
Our Fall 2018 specials will end soon so if you are planning to book your trip this year consider booking today. We are also offering themed departures in the Fall of 2018 that are included in our Early Bird rate!
Ecoventura Promotions on selected Fall 2018 Departures, please inquire:
- Eric & Letty – Receive a 5% discount; single cabins available with no supplement
- MV ORIGIN – Receive a 10% discount + FREE Wi-Fi from September 9 to December 9, 2018 (limit one per cabin)
There are some seasonal migratory patterns to keep in mind if you are set on seeing specific wildlife, but most of the animals stay in Galapagos all year round!
Book Back-to-Back Departures
Ecoventura alternates two different 7-night itinerary options to reduce usage on heavily visited more central sites, protect the islands, and comply with Galapagos National Park regulations.
Both Itinerary A and Itinerary B are sure to wow you with wildlife encounters and beautiful scenery, but each one takes a unique route to different islands. We encourage you to get the most out of your vacation by booking back-to-back departures. If you are already spending money on the flight to Ecuador, another flight to Galapagos from the mainland, and the Galapagos National Park entrance fee, shouldn’t you stay and experience it all?
By booking two consecutive cruises you will qualify for certain discounts on those departures. We offer various discounts throughout the year from 5% off your second week to our current Fall 2018 promotion for 5% off both weeks. This Early Bird rate is expiring soon! These promotions may also cover the second week on our luxury liveaboard dive yacht, M/V Galapagos Sky, so make sure to ask plenty of questions when you book.
Other Ways to Save
There are other options for anyone interested in how to save on a Galapagos cruise if you are willing to be flexible. A few other ideas are:
- International flights can be expensive so keep an eye out for deals on flights to Ecuador. Be mindful of possible flight delays and plan to arrive earlier than necessary so you don’t risk missing your cruise! Also, flights are sometimes cheaper if you have some flexibility for your travel days so keep that in mind as you look up deals.
- Choose to travel on one of our family departures! Children ages 7 to 11 get a 25% discount off the cruise rate and teens ages 12 to 17 get 15% discount off the cruise rate (excluding holiday weeks). It’s a great way to save money if you plan to take the trip when they are young instead of waiting until they are older.
- Consider skipping the big wedding and use the money for a trip with us instead! We offer mock wedding celebrations for those who want to celebrate and see the world with their new life partners.
- You never know when there will be an unexpected opening on a Galapagos cruise. Although we usually book in advance, don’t hesitate to contact us for a last minute cruise deal!
Remember That Cruising is All-Inclusive!
While a Galapagos cruise seems expensive when you first see the price, it’s important to consider everything that is included. A small cruise is the best way to consolidate all of the decision making, planning, dining costs, and travel fees between the islands under one set price.
That means there won’t be any unexpected charges during your trip. You know how much is needed for your vacation and can budget accordingly.
Ecoventura cruises on our first-class yachts include:
- Accommodations for 7 days in air-conditioned staterooms with private bathrooms
- Daily breakfast & lunch buffets, after-excursion snacks, and a gourmet dinner prepared by our culinary school-trained chefs; we are happy to accommodate any special dietary requirements such as gluten-free, plant-based, and food allergies
- Unlimited non-alcoholic drinks and house wine & local beer served at dinner
- Guided excursions each day with our knowledgeable naturalist guides (Our passenger-guide ratio is one guide for every ten guests.)
- Daily activities like snorkeling, sea kayaking, zodiac rides, stand up paddle boarding, swimming, and more!
- Complimentary masks, fins, snorkels, and wetsuits
- Transfer from the airport to our vessels with an Ecoventura staff member (applicable to those who do not arrive early to the Galapagos)
If you want to upgrade your trip, we also offer departures on our luxury vessel, the MV ORIGIN, which includes all of the above as well as:
- Sleek updated spaces with a luxury boutique hotel feel and staterooms with panoramic windows
- Generous open bar policy including wine, local beer, and spirits
- Jacuzzi hot tub for up to six guests
- Fitness center equipped with a treadmill, elliptical, free weights, yoga mats, and more
- Access to a glass-bottom boat for underwater viewing while staying dry
- Wi-Fi throughout the vessel including in your cabin (additional charges apply)
Bottom Line: You Get What You Pay For!
Spending a little more on a Galapagos cruise is worth it because the experience is priceless. While a cruise might cost more than you expected, just imagine the memories you will create snorkeling with sea lions and colorful fish, stargazing with a glass of wine on deck, and walking in the steps of Charles Darwin!
It’s important to spend your money on the things that matter to you. If travel is a priority and you want to have a unique and memorable experience, we encourage you to explore the Galapagos with us. Choosing to travel with Ecoventura is choosing to explore the islands in style while also supporting a company that believes in using solar panels, reducing our carbon emissions, giving back to the local community, and contributing to organizations that protect and preserve the archipelago.