Recently our Green Plantain Dumplings with Cheese recipe was featured on Latin Times as one of their 5 recipes you should try from Peru to Puerto Rico. We wanted to share it with you and encourage you to check out our new cookbook with more delicious recipes from Ecuador!
Green Plantain Dumplings with Cheese
2 Green plantains, peeled and cut in medium-sized chunks
4-5 tbs butter
5 tbs oil
1 cup grated cheese
Salt to taste Directions
1. In a saucepan with water cook the plantain chunks for about 40 minutes or until they are very soft,
2. Transfer the plantain pieces to a bowl. Mash the plantains using a wood masher – or just a regular potato masher – until you obtain chunky dough like consistency. Add the butter and salt.
3. Form balls and make a hole in the middle of each ball and fill it with the cheese, gently press the filling into the hole, cover the filling and make the form .
4. Heat the oil over high heat, add the stuffed plantain dumplings and fry them until they are golden and crispy on each side.
5. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels to drain the grease and serve immediately.
You can find this recipe, along with other delicious Ecuadorian eats from our chefs, in our recently released recipe book, Las Sabores de Galapagos / Flavors of the Galapagos.
While on board, our chefs offer cooking demonstrations that will teach you how to prepare an Ecuadorian dish for you to take home to your family’s dinner table. Our chefs are constantly learning new skills and dishes from other top chefs, to bring to you on your cruise.